Wednesday 11 January 2017

Dreaming Impossible Things


I have a secret addiction to horoscopes, I know, I know, rational thought and all that, but they brighten my day and sometimes make me think about things in a different way. Today’s read;
“Like Alice in Wonderland think of three impossible things before breakfast that you would love to achieve this year and when you look at them they won’t seem quite so impossible.”

Alice in Wonderland
So in an unusually egotistical way I came up with some BIG ones and you know, this time the horoscope was right. I think the lovely JK is safe, I’m not about to jettison her number one spot anytime soon, but this whole business is about dreaming.
Image result for jk rowling

I used to think that books were only written by really clever people. That is in part true, but not entirely. Writing is not reserved for an exclusive boffin club. The thing is that all the writers I admire are just people. They didn’t have a magical gold badge that said “Certified to succeed” pinned to their jumper (or spandex jumpsuit if they wanted to be 80’s and comfy). 
(Pic of my crit. group!)
Image result for 80's spandex
They just had an idea and tapped away for months and months into years, before they took the plunge and sent their work out there.

If there’s one thing 2016 has taught me is that all the grown-ups are just making things up as they go along. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn show us this daily.
Image result for theresa may ignored by EUImage result for jeremy corbyn railways

We have to try. We have to dream. We have to actually go for it hoping our stories will live beyond our laptops. Failure is likely, but as the overly optimistic Poppy, voiced by Anna Kendrick, in the film Trolls says “You can knock, knock me over, but I will get back up again.”


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFuFm0m2wj0
Image result for poppy troll

So get dreaming your impossible things, type until imaginary smoke rises from the keys, be bold - get it out there in your critique group or even better to fly beyond onto actual shop shelves. Maybe one day Anna Kendrick will audition to sing the soundtrack for your story. Who knows, she may even be nervous to work on YOUR masterpiece! Imagine that!

No comments:

Post a Comment